Tender out for replacement of rural bus routes
A number of rural bus services in Carmarthenshire have been affected by an operator’s decision to hand its contract back to the county council.
Morris Travel has told Carmarthenshire County Council that it will cease to operate a number of its routes as of January 19.
It particularly affects travel around the Llanarthne, Crugybar, Carmel, Llandeilo and Llandovery areas.
A new tender has been issued, and the council said it is working hard to attract other operators to bid.
It is also carrying out on-bus surveys with passengers and assessing ticket machine data to provide feedback as part of the tender process.
Cllr Hazel Evans, Executive Board Member for Environment, said: “It is challenging to maintain public transport across rural communities, but we understand that for some people a reliable bus service is absolutely essential for their day to day lives.
“We want to reassure communities that we are doing everything possible to encourage other bus operators to bid for the tender.”
Speaking at Executive Board on Monday (December 17, 2018), Cllr Cefin Campbell, Executive Board Member for Rural Affairs, said: “It’s something that rural communities are facing because the bus routes are not as lucrative for bus companies in rural areas.
“We are mindful of the need to cater for people in rural communities – many elderly people, for various reasons, depend on bus routes.”
The services affected are:
- 276: Llandeilo – Pentregwenlais – Llanarthne – Carmarthen (Tuesdays)
- 277: Llandeilo – Llanfynydd – Llanarthne – Carmarthen (Wednesdays and Saturdays)
- 278: Llandeilo – Carmel – Llanarthne – Carmarthen (Mondays and Thursdays)
- 279: Carmarthen – Llanarthne – Llandeilo (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)
- 283: Llandeilo – Crugybar - Brechfa – Carmarthen (Wednesdays and Saturdays)
- 284: Crugybar – Llandeilo – Pentregwenlais – Ammanford (Fridays)
- 288: Llandovery – Crugybar – Rhydcymerau – Lampeter (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays)
- 289: Llandovery – Crugybar – Pumsaint – Lampeter (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays)